March 11 at 1pm, Gymnasium
The Awana Grand Prix™ is a Pinewood-Derby®-style racing event with a nearly 50-year track record of fun and excitement. Three racing classes: Clubbers (Puggles, Cubbies and Sparks), TNT (all 3-6 graders) and Adult.
Awana Grand Prix is more than just building a race car. It helps to build a bond between kids and their parents as they work together to design the best car ever. Dads especially will be drawn into the creative excitement of helping their sons and daughters win.
This event was a huge success last year. Spectators and racers all had a great time.
"The kids love seeing their cars race across the finish line and even the parents get into it, too! All the children got a ribbon for their hard work. It was so much fun!" -Parent of an Awana clubber.
It’s not too late to make a car. We have workshops on Wednesday night and Sunday mornings. To participate your car must adhere to the Awana rules as well as pass inspection on March 5 or 8 prior to race day.
- Do most of the work yourself, but if you get some help from Mom or Dad, that's OK.
- You have to make your car so it fits on the track, but you can design it to look however you want it to.
To fit on the track and not mess up the finish line detector, your car has to match these specs.
- Length - not more than 7 inches
- Width - not more than 2 3/4 inches
- Height - not more than 3 inches
- Distance between the wheels - at least 1 3/4 inches
- Weight - not more than 5 ounces
- Clearance (how far the bottom of your car should be from the surface it is sitting on) - at least 3/8 of an inch.
- Use the wood, wheels and axels that came in your kit
- You can't use wheel bearings, bushings, washers or springs.
- You can add decals, tiny little drivers, a steering wheel, trim, paint and other stuff like that. (But your car still has to match the specs listed above.)
- You can't have parts on your car that hang out in front of the starting pin on the track.
- If you have any questions about whether your car is legal, ask your leader.
Questions contact Jill Gibbs at email@example.com